I search for feeling high. I look under rocks and trash to find my fix. I go beyond the depths of earth to find it. I would feel high from my eating disorder and other unhealthy coping skills. The adrenaline would rush through my veins to my head. I would begin to feel numb, high as a kite.
Suddenly, I began to feel high again without my unhealthy coping skills. It was foreign territory. I woke up yesterday listening to the radio, laughing out loud at the conversation that was occurring I walked into work with my head held high, smiling at every person that walked by me. I started to get report, while I was thinking of my day. I was excited to work; I felt high. I was ecstatic to see my patients and make a difference in their lives. My life got a glimpse of being high on life.
Today, I woke up and felt lost. I was wondering what I could do to fill my empty day. I thought of many things that would not match up with my path to recovery. Suddenly, I thought of something else such as the gym. I was not motivated to go to the gym. All I wanted to do was feel high right now. The struggle to put on my gym clothes was extremely challenging. I began to think of negative thoughts, "I am not in shape. I am not good enough to work out." Despite the negative thinking, I put my stinky shoes on and walked to the gym. I worked up a sweat. I felt amazing. I had that wonderful high in my veins pumping up to my brain. I had come to a point in my recovery that I could work out healthily. I worked out for a set amount of time, despite wanting to go longer. I was proud of myself.
I was proud! I was at a turning point on my road to recovery. I was starting to enjoy the simple pleasure in my life again. I got glimpses of life on the other side of the darkness. I was able to laugh, play, work, sweat, and be present in reality. Today, I wish everyone a happy, fruitful day.
-A.N.T.
"I invent creative solutions to every problem."
-Amy Zerner and Monte Farber
Saturday, March 9, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Golden Ticket
I thought my life could be. But every catastrophe confined me. Suddenly, It struck me. I was down on my luck. I could not see. There was...
-
I thought my life could be. But every catastrophe confined me. Suddenly, It struck me. I was down on my luck. I could not see. There was...
-
Sometimes, I hear thunder in the distant past. I am all too familiar; it won't last. I'm sick of being thrown into my past. I'm ...
-
There lay unspoken grief in my smile. The voices in my head made friends with the monsters under my bed while the pain surrounding my spac...
it’s really great to feel the highs of our own manufacture. hold onto them.
ReplyDelete